The big question: DO YOU LOVE YOURSELF ENOUGH – IF AT ALL?
Self-love is not narcissistic, it is loving yourself adequately enough to be able to radiate same to others without feeling used, drained or overburdened – we simply cannot give what we don’t have.
Every personal development or self-improvement drive has to begin with you falling in love again with yourself just the way you are.
The psychology behind this is simple. The more you love something or someone the more value you place on them; and the more you value someone the better you treat them – This also applies to the self.
When we suffer low self-esteem on the other hand, we tend to be more bearish and reactionary in our approach to life. We lack the desire, confidence or courage to shape events in our lives just as we want them. We accept what people give us and are always merely hoping for the best.
On the other hand, a person who really loves and values himself …
– takes a lot of encouragement from their strengths while acknowledging their weakness without being held back by them.
– is purpose-driven and generally more confident to venture without fear of criticism or need for people’s approval.
– are happier and at peace with themselves: and in that realm it is a lot easier to creatively and productively engage the mind.
To achieve a healthy level of self-esteem and self-love I have come up with 20 time-tested quotes from some great minds. Enjoy…
- “Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.” ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
- “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “It is not important to be loved by all, Respect is the vital thing. Of all who respect you, there’d be many who love you as well – and that is enough for a man of purpose.” ~ Imbuedman
- “The most terrifying thing is to accept oneself completely.” ~ C. G Jung
- “Being different is a revolving door in your life where secure people enter and insecure exit.” ~ Shanon L. Adler
- “Lighten up on yourself. No one is perfect. Gently accept your humanness.” ~ Deborah Day
- “Self-Love and forgiveness is a liberation.” ~ Laila Gifty Akita
- “If you are in a bad relationship with anyone else it is because you are in a bad relationship with yourself.” ~ Abiola Abrams
- “It is never to late to be what you might have been.” ~ George Elliot
- “The reward for conformity is that everyone likes you but yourself.” ~ Rita Mae Brown
- “The is nothing noble about being superior to some other man. The true nobility is in being superior to your former self.” ~ Hindu Proverb
- “To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance.” ~ Oscar Wilde
- “Too many people overvalue what they are not and undervalue what they are.” ~ Malcolm S. Forbes
- Low self-esteem is like driving through life with your hand-break on.” ~ Maxwell Waltz
- “Until you value yourself you wont value your time. Until you value your time you will not do anything with it.” ~ M. Scott Speck